SANTIAGO, Oct. 19 -- The South American Football Confederation (CONMEBOL) removed Uruguayan Wilmar Valdez from his FIFA council role on Friday and named Argentine Football Association (AFA) president Claudio Tapia as his interim replacement.
The announcement, made during a meeting of CONMEBOL representatives in Santiago, came less than three months after Valdez quit the presidency of the Uruguayan Football Association (AUF).
The resignation occurred just a day before Valdez was due to stand for re-election amid a scandal over the release of secret audio recordings in which he spoke about bribes. The case is being investigated by authorities.
An attempt to proceed with an election failed because two of the candidates did not meet CONMEBOL requirements.
FIFA said it would bring the association's statutes in line with its own rules before holding a new election by February next year.
Tapia, 51, was elected AFA president in March last year with a mandate until 2021.
【体坛英语资讯:CONMEBOL pulls Uruguayan Valdez from FIFA council】相关文章:
★ 体坛英语资讯:Government cooperation needed in doping fight
★ 体坛英语资讯:Yao, LeBron earn NBA honors for January
★ 体坛英语资讯:Chinas new and old set early pace at worlds
★ 体坛英语资讯:Another big shots out, coach says worlds lose meaning
★ 体坛英语资讯:Mourning career likely over after knee injury
★ 娱乐英语资讯:Matt LeBlanc sued by ex-manager
★ 体坛英语资讯:Wariner beaten by Australian Batman
★ 体坛英语资讯:Did Yi get an All-Star snub?
★ 娱乐英语资讯:Britney Spears TV wardrobe up for sale
★ 体坛英语资讯:Fresh Wang leads short-track skaters
最新
2020-09-15
2020-09-15
2020-09-15
2020-09-15
2020-09-15
2020-09-15