U.S. Vice President Mike Pence told reporters on Monday evening that Trump spoke with his Turkish counterpart Recep Tayyip Erdogan earlier in the day and called for an immediate end to Turkey's moves against the Kurdish forces in Syria.
Pence also said that he will soon visit the Middle East to meditate the crisis.
U.S. Defense Secretary Mark Esper said in a statement on Monday that Ankara's offensive has undermined the mission of defeating the Islamic State (IS) in Syria and resulted in the release of many IS detainees.
Esper added that he is planning to press other NATO allies to take "diplomatic and economic measures" in response to the Turkish actions during his upcoming visit to Brussels next week.
Trump previewed the executive order he was to sign in a statement first posted in his Monday afternoon tweet, saying that the order will also enable Washington to impose "powerful additional sanctions" against those involved in "serious human rights abuses, obstructing a ceasefire, preventing displaced persons from returning home" among other issues regarding Turkey's action in Syria.
The blacklisted persons will face a broad range of consequences, "including financial sanctions, the blocking of property, and barring entry into the United States," the statement added.
Trump also noted that the U.S. troops leaving Syria will remain in the Middle East region to "monitor the situation," while a small number of U.S. forces will remain at At Tanf Garrison in southern Syria to counter the remnants of the IS.
【国际英语资讯:U.S. piles up pressure on Turkey over offensive in Syria amid doubts】相关文章:
最新
2020-09-15
2020-09-15
2020-09-15
2020-09-15
2020-09-15
2020-09-15