MADRID, July 8 -- Fernando Hierro has ended his brief tenure as Spain coach following the team's elimination from the World Cup in Russia.
Hierro was given the role on an interim basis after Julen Lopetegui was sacked on the eve of football's showpiece event.
The Spanish football federation (RFEF) issued a statement on Sunday revealing that the 50-year-old parted ways of his own volition.
"The Royal Spanish Football Federation and Fernando Hierro put an end to their relationship once the participation of Spain in the World Cup in Russia ended," the statement said.
"He declined to return to his previous position as sports director of the RFEF to seek new horizons and undertake new professional challenges."
Spain were eliminated from the competition following a penalty shootout loss to Russia in the round of 16. It was the team's worst World Cup finish since 2006 and marked a poignant farewell to international football for midfielder Andres Iniesta.
Hierro, a former Spain player and Real Madrid assistant manager, said last week that he had "no regrets" about taking on the job two days before the team's World Cup opener against Portugal.
Lopetegui was dismissed after it was revealed that he had accepted a position to take charge of Real Madrid after the World Cup.
【体坛英语资讯:Hierro steps down as Spain boss】相关文章:
★ 体坛英语资讯:Mourning career likely over after knee injury
★ 体坛资讯:China exits AFC Asian Cup
★ 体坛英语资讯:China fails to break no-win record jinx against S.Korea
★ 体坛英语资讯:Croatia bullish, Germany relieved at Euro 2008
★ 娱乐英语资讯:Kidman denies pregnancy rumours
★ 体坛英语资讯:Roddick to skip Olympics with U.S. Open in mind
★ 体坛英语资讯:England manager Capello faces perjury probe
★ 娱乐英语资讯:Lohan recreates Monroe photo shoot
★ 娱乐英语资讯:Kate Hudsons son excited seeing mom on TV
★ 娱乐英语资讯:Coldplay sets dates for extensive Viva La Vida tour
最新
2020-09-15
2020-09-15
2020-09-15
2020-09-15
2020-09-15
2020-09-15